Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Human Worth

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
Albert Einsten
 
Success:  The gaining of fame or prosperity. 
 
Valuable:  The importance, worth or usefulness of something or someone.  (www.thefreedictionary.com/valuable)
 
Last week I had the honor of attending a dear friend's retirement party.  My friend retired after serving thirty-eight plus years with the County of Los Angeles.  Many were in attendance to celebrate my friend's accomplishment.  Listening to various people express their congratulations and appreciation of my friend, I particularly noted her supervisor's speech.  He didn't highlight my friend's climb up the corporate ladder and all of her success.  Instead, he emphasized her value to their department.  He shared the significant impact my friend had on his life, as well as her co-workers' lives.  He further shared how her attitude regarding her job and life positively affected their department's atmosphere.  Because of my friend's faith in God and her efforts to be a light to others, she was seen as being of great value to the County of Los Angeles.

As I reflected on my friend's value, I thought about my ultimate goal of this blog.  Each time I post an entry, I strive to be of encouragement to others.  I purpose to uplift and motivate others to live the most fulfilled lives they can live.  It doesn't matter to me rather or not this blog is highly successful; it matters to me that it may potentially be of value to someone.  If I'm able to accomplish that specific goal, I feel I have upheld my responsibility of giving back some of what has been given to me.

Today I encourage you to reflect on your own life and question rather or not you are being of any value.  We have all been blessed with some form of gift that can be beneficial to the next man, woman, boy or girl.  If you find you are not living up to your potential of being valuable, I challenge you to start today.  There is something residing in you that make you far more valuable than silver or gold.  Reach inside, pull that something out and share it with the world!  For those of you are already being of value to others, I salute and encourage you to continue.  For it is your worth that ultimately makes this world go around!        



No comments:

Post a Comment