Monday, May 5, 2014

Serenity Prayer

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."


Have you ever prayed this prayer?  What would it be like for you to completely accept what is to be, courage to make a change where you can and let go those things you can't do anything about?

This prayer reminds me of an area in my life that continuously need perfecting.  Although I know we are not supposed to worry (be anxious) about anything, there are times when I find myself once again trying to control things I absolutely have no control of.  

Today I was reminded of this prayer and had to step back from a situation I was beginning to "worry" about.  The more I thought about the situation and tried to think of ways I could control the outcome, the more anxiety I began to experience.

God truly knows what we need when we need it.  As I read my Devotionals today, I was encouraged to have faith, surrender and speak life to my situations, including this one currently experienced. I knew this was divine because both Devotionals touched on the same message.

Taking a deep breath and surrendering my need for control, I began to exercise my faith.  I can't tell you how much difference that made for me.  As I remembered this certain prayer and began to speak life to this situation, things began falling into place.  Feeling somewhat reprimanded, I couldn't help but think that sometimes I make things more difficult than they have to be.

As I write this post tonight, I smile to myself because I can see my growth.  In my past, I would have been defeated by worry.  In my past, I would have done everything else other than surrendering it to the One who ultimately has all of the control.

Tonight I thank God for this prayer.  I praise Him for being patient with me when my flesh rise up and starts to get in the way.  Tonight I take serenity in knowing there is someone who will always have a better answer, more control over a situation than I ever will.  I am able to acknowledge the fact that I'm only human and still a work in progress.  I am able to prepare myself for peaceful rest knowing that all is well and God absolutely has my back!

I pray that if ever you find yourself in a similar situation, you will remember this Serenity Prayer and let go.  Trust me, there isn't a more qualified being that can work that situation for your good!         
      

No comments:

Post a Comment