Monday, March 24, 2014

Imperfect Being Perfected

Imperfect: not perfect, faulty or incomplete (Dictionary.com)                  



Perfect:  To make something completely free from defects and faults or as close to such a condition as possible (Dictionary.com)                       
Impatient,  alcoholic, Hot-tempered, stoic, and prideful are just a few words that describe some of my former or present characteristics.  These are all flaws to show that I am an imperfect woman progressively being perfected.  Yes, I am a hot mess!  But, I'm also an EDP, every day progress.  And, most of all, God loves and has chosen to use little Ms. Imperfect me as one of his vessels!
Being raised with a Pentecostal, Christian background, I grew up with a very strict interpretation of religion and what being God's child entailed.  For a long time, women could not wear pants or make-up and were expected to wear panty hose all of the time.  Sanctified Christians were definitely not allowed to listen to any type of secular music or even think about dancing.  If one went against any of the "rules", he or she was looked upon as not being saved or no longer being saved.  However, as I became an adult, I began to question how any of these "rules" related to my relationship with God?  I was baffled because I knew I had a heart for Christ and desired to be His child.  I would wonder how other people who were extremely hateful and unforgiving could be Christians.
Contrary to popular beliefs, God used many imperfect men and women in the Bible as vessels for Him. For examples, Noah was a drunk, Jacob was a liar, Joseph was abused, Gideon was afraid, Samson was a womanizer, Rahab was a prostitute, Elijah was suicidal, Paul was too religious and David was an adulterer and a murderer, just to name a few.  For me, this was a different way of looking at salvation because I had grown up thinking one had to be almost perfect to be saved, to be a Christian.  These imperfect heroes were just like you and I, flawed but still able to be used by God as well.    
As I progress in my walk with Christ, I am learning that religion doesn't have much to do with salvation!  It does not determine my relationship with Christ.  As a matter of fact, I have observed we can all be religious but have nothing resembling a relationship with Christ or others for that matter.  Being religious does not necessarily mean one has a loving and forgiving heart, which is what Christ ultimately expects from us.  And, most of all, religion does not guarantee my salvation!  My works or lack of is not what has saved me.  The Bible tells me "For by Grace, I have been saved through faith.  And, this is not my own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."  It is my belief, acceptance of Christ as my Savior, and His Grace that has saved me.  My sins do and will not cause me to lose my salvation!  Christ has already paid the price for my salvation!   
Do you feel you have too many flaws?  Do you feel you are unworthy of being loved and can not be used by God?  I'm here to tell you that you are exactly the kind of person God likes to use as a vessel.  The next time you are feeling critical and down on yourself, look into the mirror and repeat "I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  God can use me."  You are indeed loveable and usable because God created you.  He accepts you just as you are. 

What better knowledge is there than knowing nothing you do or say can take away God's love for you?  For those of you who believe you are already perfect and have no flaws at all and  you believe you are entitled to look down on and judge us imperfect vessels; I admonish you to self-reflect again.  I can confidently assure you there's something you have blindly overlooked.  None of us are perfect, but we all can be used by God.  There is always a need for love to be passed on to someone else.  Rather or not man ever accepts or love us, God loves and has already accepted us; the good, the bad, and the ugly!       


 

No comments:

Post a Comment