Monday, January 27, 2014

Change the Flow


"Look!  There is a river whose streams make the city of God rejoice, even the Holy Place of the Most High."  Psalms 46:4, International Standard Version
As I thought about what to write today, my thoughts were directed to my journal response to this particular daily devotional by Joel Osteen, Daily Readings from Your Best Life Now.
Psalms 46:4 speaks of a river flowing, referring to God's presence and blessings.  This devotional continues to encourage me to change the way I think about my circumstance in life.  It informs me that the more I dwell on God's Word and start seeing the best in situations, the more I change the flow of my river.  Romans 12:2 "be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind" is also a supporting scripture.  It tells us that "we should experience a progressive transformation of life by the renewing of our mind.  Our minds are changed by payer, by reading and reflection on God's Word, by worship and by meditation on God's acts as the Holy Spirit works in us," KJV Study Bible.  Just as any change, we must make a conscious, continuous effort to reject the old way of thinking and replace that thinking with God's Word and positive affirmations.
I am aware that for far too long, I allowed negative thinking to dominate my mind.  It became almost as natural as breathing that my thoughts flowed in a negative direction.  This became some of that "weight" that silently added to my increasing frame.  Although I usually presented myself with confidence and optimism, deep down inside I was doubting and obsessed with preparing myself for the worst case scenario. 
Changing the flow serves as a reinforcement of what I need to continue doing.  Currently, I make a conscious effort to bind that stronghold I have been delivered from.  I am embracing what God has truly said about me and the life He wants for me.  I vow to continue changing the flow of my thoughts until that old, negative stream is completely dried up.   
If you have noticed that your river is flowing in a negative, undesired direction, you have the power to change that flow today.  Make a choice to align your thinking with God's Word!  Immediately begin to reject any negative, self-defeating thought that attempts to rise.  Trust me, in spite of  your choice to change your thinking for the better, those negative thoughts will still try to persist for a while.  Get in the habit of looking in the mirror and making positive affirmations to yourself daily.  This will not only allow you to meditate on positive thoughts, it will also allow you to hear those positive thoughts as you look at yourself.  See yourself as you begin to walk into that positive light!      

No comments:

Post a Comment