Monday, January 20, 2014

Run Your Own Race

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us”.  Hebrew 12:1, NIV


For the past six months, I have been reading a very inspirational devotional book titled “Your Best Life Now”, by Joel Osteen.  This powerful book has been instrumental in the renewing of my mind and spirit.  As I read this book during my devotional time, I journal to each devotional.  From time to time, I will be sharing with you some of the devotionals and journal entries that have really encouraged and motivated me.  Today, I share with you my feedback on this particular devotional.

1Corinthians 9:24-27 and Hebrews 12:1-2 were the foundation scripture readings.  Galatians 6:4 and Proverbs 24:6 were given as supporting scriptures.  These scriptures speak about us running our own race, fighting our own fight.  Scripture also tell us there’s “safety in multitude of wise counselors”, Proverbs 24:6.

This devotional encourages us to run our own race; instead of running and being too involved in others’ race.  So often, we get caught up in doing what everyone else does.  In the past, I was guilty of being over-involved in what others were doing.  Because I have such a heart for people, they usually find it easy to confide in me.  Always wanting to help, I found myself focusing on everyone else and losing focus of my own race!  I had began trying to run my race the way others were running their own or at times, running the way they felt I should.  I had lost complete focus on the race God had already set for me.

Thru this devotional, I was informed I can run my own race and God will be pleased.  I was also encouraged to seek counsel from those whom I respect.  Seeking and obtaining wise counsel has helped me at times when I was faced with challenges and was unsure of the direction God wanted me to go in.  Today, I am reminded and encouraged to continue running my own race with diligence and courage.

If by any chance you have gotten caught up in trying to keep up with others, it is not too late to refocus your attention to what you are suppose to be doing.  “God has an individual plan for each of our lives”.  Joel Osteen

Father, in the name of Jesus, I pray that you continue to empower and grant me courage to take the path You have chosen for me.  Help me to endure this race and know that it is indeed the one You have marked out for me!  Amen.            

No comments:

Post a Comment