Thursday, January 23, 2014

May I have this Dance?

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
William W. Purkey
 
 
Do you hear that wonderful sound of music?  My feet are tapping.  My hips are shaking.  My shoulders are swaying.  And, my hands are clapping.  Yes, I am dancing!
 
As a child raised in a Pentecostal religious- based home, I was forbidden to listen to secular music and forbidden to dance.  So, I didn't really learn how to dance until graduating from high school.  Up until then, I can remember watching family members or friends dance when I wasn't around my parents and secretly copying their moves when I was alone.  I thought for someone who couldn't dance, I didn't do too bad of a job.  That was until I really learned how to dance.
 
In addition to writing, music is my other passion.  I love music!  I learned how to sing and play the drums at a very young age.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the dancing part down until later.  However, when I did, there was no stopping me.  I like the way dancing makes me feel.  I feel beautiful, confident and alive!  Although I'm usually somewhat shy, my shyness disappears when I become lost in dancing.
 
Before I was married, knowing how to dance was a must for someone I dated.  In fact, I took for granted having to even ask the guy if he knew how to dance.  I hate to admit it, but I did stereotype all African-American men and assumed they all knew how to dance.  Imagine my shock when God blessed me with my husband and I found out (yes, you guessed it) dancing was not one of the things he did well.  My baby did not have an ounce of rhythm!  Yet he would get out there and dance as if someone had told him he was the best dancer on this planet earth.  Bless his heart; he knew I liked dancing so much, sometimes he would attempt to encourage me to dance with others who knew how to dance.  However; by then, I was so in love with him that it didn't matter he didn't know how to dance.  I respected and was happy for his willingness to at least try to learn to dance with me.  Today, we are actually now able to keep a steady groove with one another while dancing! 
 
Watching my husband dance opened me up more.  Although he wasn't the greatest dancer, he immersed himself in dancing to and feeling the words of the song that was playing.  He would often tell me that he danced to the lyrics.  The day I finally grasped what he was saying was the day I was freed in my own dancing.  No longer was I a child forbidden to dance.  No longer did I have to copy the style of others or limit myself to one type of dance.  I became free to fully feel the music and express myself in my own dance!
 
As I am embracing all of me, I am beginning to freely dance again.  I'm dancing to the challenges I'm overcoming.  I'm dancing to becoming a Victor and no longer being a Victim!  I'm dancing to the reigniting of this fire that is fervently burning inside of me.  I'm dancing to finally starting to see some of my dreams come into fruition.  I'm dancing to breathing again and no longer gasping.  Most of all, I'm dancing to the benefits of loving God and being His child!
 
Yes, my feet are tapping.  My hips are shaking.  My shoulders are swaying.  And, my hands are clapping.  Yes, I am dancing.  I only switched partners.  Now, would you care to join us?
 
And, to my adorable husband, "I will dance with you anytime!"

No comments:

Post a Comment