Monday, January 13, 2014

Free to Rest

"Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?  Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature"?
Matthew 6:26
(In Loving Memory of my Mom, Alice)
 
This is a bittersweet moment as I write this particular post.  Today, I'm reminded of the last message my mother imparted to me before God called her home.
 My mom was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure at the age of 33.  For twenty-one years, my mother was in and out of the hospital fighting against failure of her heart.  In spite of advice from her doctors to discontinue working and her continued failing health,  she continued to work.  She was determined to do as much as she could to provide for her family.  Working to take care of her family was all she knew how to do.  She too worked while attending high school and took care of her mother.
Throughout my mother's illness, my mother's number one prayer request to God was for Him to grant her health to raise all of her kids to adults.  She was extremely concerned about our care and felt no one else would care for her children the way she knew she would.  My youngest sister by both of my parents turned 21 years of age three weeks after my mom was called Home.  Mercifully, God answered my mother's prayer!
It was the Sunday before her demise; she passed away two days later on Tuesday.  My mom had been readmitted to the hospital and was under critical care.  I had gone to the hospital to visit with her.  I was expecting to find her weak and in bed.  Instead, amazingly I found her sitting in a chair, happy and ready to share news with me.  She began to tell me she had a revelation!  She read Matthew 6:26-34 to me and begin to share with me what God had revealed to her.  She finally realized that she no longer had to worry about her care, nor her children's care.  She finally understood just as God takes care of the birds of the air and animals of the earth, God will take care of us.  She asked me had I ever just watched people feeding birds?  She told me to note how the birds are fed, without having concern of how and where the food will come from.  She told me we are much more valuable and God will also provide for us.  Watching my mom dance around the room and call family members to share this news, I later realized two things.  God had completely healed my mom and she was finally free to peacefully rest!     
As I pray about my future, I am reminded of this precious gift my mom passed on to me after giving me back to the same God who had given me to her.  Philippians 4:6 tells me "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God".  I am instructed not to worry about my future or anything else for that matter.  I can rest in peace knowing God is my Jehovah-Jireh; He will provide for me! 
You too can rest in that same peace!            


No comments:

Post a Comment