Thursday, January 16, 2014

Quiet Please

 
11 "And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the Lord. And, behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the Lord; but the Lord was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the Lord was not in the earthquake":
12 "And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice".
1Kings 19:11-12
 
Quiet:  Making little or no noise.  Calm and unmoving; still.

Sshh.  Can you hear Him?  Wait, ssshhh, quiet, listen!  Do you hear Him?

My sister often teases me about not liking to be around a lot of noise.  When she comes to visit me, she talks about how quiet it is at my home.  My mom used to joke with me and tell me that if I had kids, they would grow up being nervous because they would be afraid of any kind of noise.  Hahaha Mama, I don't think I'm that bad!

I do have to admit that as I've aged, I have come to truly appreciate my quiet moments.  I have found that those are the times when my spirit is calm and I can hear God's small, still voice.  Those are the times when I can lean my head back and just listen.  As I spiritually grow, I'm learning how important these quiet moments are while communicating with Him.

In today's time, life is so busy!  There's so much to always do, so many things distracting us or demanding our attention.  For many of us, the only time we may experience a quiet moment is when we are asleep.  With all the technology readily at our hands, society has made it the norm for us to always be occupied with some form of "noise".  Gone are the days when experiencing peace was an expected part of the day.  It has almost now become at best, a hoped for amenity included in a planned vacation.

When was the last time you put yourself first and consented to being "quiet"?  When was the last time you were able to hear God's still, small voice? If you had to ponder those questions, it may be time for you to stop and listen to what God may be saying to you.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I must say my sister loves her quiet time. As I've gotten older I'm starting to find myself following those footsteps. I tend to get really irritable now when I need my quiet time. I'm starting to appreciate my quiet time because I find that it puts me in a position where I can actually talk to and hear from God. I will disappear in a blink of an eye now for my quiet time. As a matter of fact, It's check out time now! Everyone is sleep...yay!!!

    ReplyDelete